Following the 1960s dress I made myself earlier this year I thought I would try and make a mini dress for baby cub, vintage style. After all they are just a bit smaller, what could possibly be so hard?
I bought the pattern from John Lewis, along with the fabric, which I found in the sale (the joy of working off Oxford Street means I can always spend money as soon as I come out the office. Joy for me, despair for the wife). I went for a fabric I thought I could get away with in the winter with layers, it was so cute I couldn’t resist, not that I am known for my willpower.
My wonderful sewing teacher showed me how to follow the pattern and then, in her true, ‘tell it like it is’ style, decided a lot of it needed changing!
She came up with the idea of ironing on interfacing to the top half, both front and back. This was such a good idea as it gives the top of the dress a more solid shape (she is always right).
We also cut out the front and back for a second time and in place of a collar, sewed in full lining. This resulted in all the sewing being hidden away on the inside. Very posh I say!
I found the lining in the inside hard to do as I wasn’t sure how to sew it without showing on the right side of the fabric. In the end I went my style and made a feature of the sewing on the outside rather than trying to hide it. After all I spent most of my time unpicking this dress than putting it together, but I guess that’s how you learn!
Just when I thought I had finished, my sewing teacher said I needed to hand stitch the hem. I didn’t enjoy doing this part at all and it resulted in me moaning like a child myself but I got there in the end.
Despite the hiccups I am so happy with the result! It’s not perfect but made with LOVE.
I hope you agree it’s one fab dress for baby cub. I’ve paired it with a cardigan I bought a few months back in the Boots sale with my points! So it was free, even better.
The whole outfit cost £3!!! (If you don’t include the pattern!)
I’ve started another one now….